Rules & Field Care
Park, League, Bat and Bylaws
UpdatedFriday April 22, 2022 byAdam Frazier.
The rules listed on this page are based on the most frequently asked or the SCBR Board of Directors deem important. The full list of rules and Bylaws can be found in the Bylaws section at the bottom of this page.
All people involved with Babe Ruth should keep in mind that our goal is to display and implant the ideas of sportsmanship, loyalty, and honesty in the minds of our youth.
- No pets allowed. Only service animals with proper documentation provided.
- No alcohol, drugs, or smoking (including vapes) is permitted on premises by city ordinance.
- Persons suspected to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be asked to leave the park.
- Unruly spectators will be asked to leave the park.
- No METAL cleats are allowed at Babe Ruth.
- Orange Bags are used at first base. Batted runner is required to use orange bag unless rounding toward second base. 1st violation will result in team warning. 2nd violation batted runner is automatically out.
- Allowed bats can be found on the Bat Rules page.
- If a batter steps in the batter's box with an illegal bat, he or she will be automatically out.
Coach Pitch Divisions
- Tball: 3 coach pitches then tee. Foul balls on 3rd pitch or any subsequent pitches gets another pitch.
- PeeWee & Rookie: 5 coach pitches; Missed 5th pitch results in batter out. Foul balls on 5th pitch or any subsequent pitches gets another pitch.
- (Coach) Please pitch from the turf inlay and land on turf inlay. (This will help the grass grow in the area in front of the turf)
- (Coach) Do not leave unused baseballs on the field while pitching. Use your glove or pockets.
NOTE: The next inning begins immediately following the sixth out of the inning. If any time remains on the official clock after the sixth out, the following inning shall be played.
Time limits (minutes) by division
Our field maintenance team, lawn care vendors, and Board of Directors work tirelessly to keep our ballpark in great shape (kudos!). Your responsibilities as a coach, as a player, or as a spectator is critical to the success of our leagues – and more importantly, the safety of everyone involved! Here, and in life, it is always a good idea “to leave the area in better shape than you found it.”
Here’s how YOU can help:
- Your team is responsible for cleaning your dugout after every event. Please dispose of trash in the trash bin located behind the dugout after each event.
- Make sure all babe ruth equipment (if applicable) is put up where it belongs and ensure players have gathered all their personal equipment.
- “Keep the field in mind”. Many of the younger kids like to kick the ground, dig on the playing surface or tear up the diamonds which compromises the safety of everyone. Please DO NOT allow players to dig on the field!
- If you see large rocks or impediments on the field, please gather and dispose of (or repurpose rocks in the gravel area) appropriately.
- Report any issues that may compromise player’s safety to a member of the Board of Directors.
- In coach pitch:
- Please pitch from the turf inlay and land on turf inlay. (This will help the grass grow in the area in front of the turf)
- Do not leave unused baseballs on the field while pitching. Use your glove or pockets.
- Please take care of your playing fields! Do not dig on the field and ruin the fun for others.
- YOU are responsible for YOUR equipment. Be sure to gather your equipment and take it home with you.
- Dispose of any trash you may have after your game in the trash bin behind the dugouts.
- Please dispose of your trash (or any other trash) in one of the many trash bins scattered throughout the park.
- Make sure you’ve gathered your belongings when you leave.
- If you find any unattended belongings, please turn them into lost and found in our concession stand.
Shelby County Babe Ruth Bylaws are available in its entirety by clicking on the link below: